On this episode, Ryan Dyar and Chris Kiefer discuss creative endeavors, mental health, YouTube, Formula 1 Racing, and movies.
View this post on Instagram
I had a fantastic time chatting with @ryandyar last week. I knew that we were going to have a good conversation, but I didn’t anticipate it being this good. . If you’ve ever wondered what life is like for a professional photographer or an instagram influencer you will want to check this episode out. . Ryan puts a lot of effort into his work, but he also spends a lot of time thinking about the man he wants to be for his family and life in general. . Episode 26 | The Pursuit of Purpose Podcast
Who Is Ryan Dyar?
According to Ryan Dyar’s Website:
I’m a chubby man-child from the Seattle, Wa area who points cameras at stuff. I’ve somehow gotten lucky enough to not work a “real” job for the past several years and can call myself a Professional Photographer/Image Creator… but “Professional” is a term I use lightly. Please refer to the first sentence for clarification.
My path to photography was as organic as most people’s. I received a camera as a gift and took it along on my travels at a time in my life that I felt a bit lost. The ensuing interest in creating images gave me the direction in my life that I was lacking. Now it’s over a decade later and photography has not only become my career, but what my existence revolves around… for better or worse. A camera has lead me to meeting my wife, some of my best friends, and also discovering this one true passion in life that has guided me toward being a better human.
My idea of creating imagery seems to be constantly changing with the times and I take artistic liberties with the process of making my own style of art… which might not be for everyone. Whether you like my work or not, thanks for taking the time to check it out. Cheers!From the “About Page” on RyanDyar.com
Questions Asked On This Episode
- You never really pursued or desired becoming a professional photographer. How did you end up as one?
- I’ve heard you say you don’t want your life to be all about photography or defined by photography. What do you want to be defined by?
- You said that you’ve “been working on mental health for the last 10 years to where you are happy in your own head.” What lead you to focus on this?
- “I don’t know how people live without youtube. There is something for everything on YouTube. Followed it step by step.” — let’s talk about this. What is the craziest thing you have done that maybe you weren’t qualified to do?
- Not being an artist, I have a hard time relating to the purists that get upset about photoshopping and what not. What are you thoughts on that?
- I think that whatever the market thinks is cool is cool. It’s not up to the artist to decide if his work is good or not.
- Are you a fan of YouTube? What is the craziest thing you have ever learned on YouTube?
- What is vacation for you, what does it actually look like?
- Tell me about your interest in Formula 1 racing.
- You’re a good cook. What’s your most bad ass dish you’ve ever made?
- What is the difference to you between an “aspiring photographer” and a “professional photographer?” Which one are you?
- Can you teach anyone photography? How much of it is “born” vs “made”?
“Fear Setting” With Tim Ferriss
- Jeremiah Johnson (1972) directed by Sydney Pollack
- Good Fellas (1990) directed by Martin Scorsese
- Lion (2016) directed by Garth Davis
Connect on Instagram: @ryandyar